Triple D Cup
|Awarded for||winning the Cannonball Run|
|First awarded||October 30, 2010|
|Last awarded||April 3, 2015|
|Currently held by||UW|
The Triple-D Cup (known colloquially as the Ontario Cup or simply The Cup) is an award trophy claimed by the winner of the Cannonball Run, an inter-school competition between the engineering societies of the University of Toronto, McMaster University, and the University of Waterloo. The University of Toronto rightfully regained their spot in the competition after winning the Cannonball Run at the end of November 2014 and successfully ousting Conestoga College.
The competition is loosely based on the Alberta Cup and corresponding Cup Run, an event run between the engineering societies of the University of Alberta and University of Calgary.
In June 2010, drafting began for a document outlining the rules and regulations of a competition to promote spirit and inter-school rivalry. The document was established by the Presidents and VPs External of the three schools' engineering societies, along with the incoming and outgoing Presidents of the Engineering Student Societies' Council of Ontario. The resulting document, The Gran Turismo Accord, was enacted by the three participating engineering societies on July 5, 2010.
At least once per semester, the school in possession of The Cup must declare "The Cup is up!" and the other two schools must race to the host. After the first school arrives to claim The Cup, there is a three hour window in which the second school may arrive to challenge the claim. In this case, the winner of The Cup is then determined by a BOAT race using the host school's house rules.
The trophy consists of a cup trophy atop a rectangular base. Three sides of the base are emblazoned with a logo representative of one of the three participating schools (the McMaster Fireball, the Skule logo, and the Waterloo EngSoc logo). During the fall of 2010, the cup itself was purchased from Twin Cities Trophies in Waterloo, while the base was built by Sean O'Neil and the logos were burnt into the wood by Scott Rankin, both from the University of Waterloo. The first Cannonball Run was announced the morning of October 30, 2010.
The Gran Turismo Accord
Section 1 - Spirit and Motivation
- 1. This accord defines a friendly competition between Engineering Student Societies, in the hopes of fostering spirit and community building. The purpose of this competition is to bring the respective Engineering Societies together in a common purpose, and to have some fun.
Section 2 - Participants
- 1. This accord to hold this competition is held between the McMaster University Engineering Society, the University of Toronto Engineering Society, and the University of Waterloo Engineering Society.
Section 3 - Definitions
- 1. This competition is named “The Cannonball Run”. This competition will adopt a trophy, which will be named the “Triple-D Cup”. Within this accord, the trophy is henceforth referred to as the Cup.
- 2. The Possessor is defined as the Society in possession of the Cup
- 3. The Contestants are defined as the Societies who are competing for the Cup.
- 4. The Keyword is defined as the phrase “The Cup is up!”, which initiates the competition.
- 5. The Office of the Possessor is defined as the Engineering Society Office.
- 1. McMaster University Engineering Society John Hodgins Engineering, Room 121B, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4L7
- 2. University of Toronto Engineering Society Sandford Fleming Building, Room B740, 10 King’s College Road, Toronto, ON, M5S 3G4
- 3. University of Waterloo Engineering Society Carl Pollock Hall Room 1327, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON, N2L 3G1
- 6. The Victor is defined as the Society who successfully claims the Cup.
Section 4 - Conduct of the Competition
- 1. At any one point in time, one Society will be in possession of the Cup.
- 2. At least once per academic term, the competition must occur. The Possessor is in charge of initiating a race between the Contestants to claim possession of the Cup.
- 3. The competition is initiated when the Possessor contacts the Contestants, and declares the Keyword. The Possessor must declare the Keyword to all Contestants within fifteen (15) minutes of each other.
- 4. Upon the Cup being “up”, all Contestants must race to the Office of the Possessor. Both Contestants have 24 hours to reach the Office of the Possessor.
- 5. The first Contestant to reach the Possessor will claim possession of the Cup and be declared the Victor. However, if both Contestants reach the Possessor within three (3) hours of the competition commencing, both Contestants must compete in a BOAT race to claim the cup. The BOAT race will be conducted using the local rules of the Possessor.
- 6. If neither Contestant claims possession of the Cup within 24 hours of the Keyword being declared, the current Possessor retains possession of the Cup until it is successfully claimed. The Contestants will allowed to be heckled for not claiming the Cup. Heckling includes any taunts, insults, or question of the Contestant’s ability to function above the intelligence of a standard snapping turtle. Heckling may not exceed 43 seconds.
- 7. Upon a Contestant claiming possession of the Cup, much celebration shall be had between all Societies present, at a location of the Possessor’s discretion, and much debauchery shall be had. The Possessor should consider the logistics of lodging any of the Contestants that engage in too much debauchery.
- 8. Once claimed, the Cup will travel back to the Society of the Victor, where they will become the Possessor.
Section 5 - Possessing the Cup
- 1. The President or Vice President External of the Possessor is responsible for the well-being of the Cup.
- 2. The competition is initiated by the President or Vice President External of the Possessor contacting the President or Vice President External of the Contestants.
- 3. If the Cup is misplaced, damaged, or stolen, the Possessor is responsible for procuring a new Cup within one month. The Contestants are allowed to abuse the President or Vice President External of the Possessor for their clumsiness.
- 4. Abuse is limited to a backhand slap delivered to the face or kidney.
Section 6 - Amending this Accord
- 1. This accord can be amended at any face-to-face meeting of all Engineering Student Societies participating in the competition. Once agreed upon unanimously, each respective Engineering Student Society must ratify the amendments to this Accord, through their own procedures.
- 2. At least three pitchers must be consumed during the deliberations.
Past Cannonball Runs
|April 3, 2015||McMaster||UW|
|February 28, 2015||Skule™||McMaster|
|November 28, 2014***||McMaster||Skule™|
|May 31, 2014||Conestoga (in Hamilton)||McMaster|
|November 6, 2013||Waterloo (in Guelph)||Conestoga|
|May 25, 2013**||McMaster (in Waterloo)||UW|
|April 6, 2013*||UW||McMaster|
|March 16, 2013*||McMaster||UW|
|September 14, 2012||Skule™||McMaster|
|July 21, 2012||McMaster||Skule™|
|January 28, 2012||UW||McMaster|
|December 2, 2011*||McMaster||UW|
|November 5, 2011||UW||McMaster|
|June 18, 2011||McMaster||UW|
|March 25, 2011||Skule™||McMaster|
|February 4, 2011||UW||Skule™|
|December 3, 2010||McMaster||UW|
|October 30, 2010||UW||McMaster|
* Skule™ did not send a team to the December 2, 2011 cup run. Guelph was invited but did not participate. Skule™ also didn't send a team on March 16th, 2013. Once again, Skule™ did not send a team to compete on April 6th, 2013.
** McMaster called the Cup at ESSCO AGM and held a tournament including any schools willing to participate. Conestoga College won the tournament, and therefore fully replace Skule™ in further Cannonball Runs. After winning the tournament, Conestoga lost the BOAT race to Waterloo.
*** Conestoga elected to call the cup on the last possible day of the spring semester, with McMaster winning the BOAT race against UW. Due to Conestoga's negligence, McMaster decided to allow Skule™ a chance to redeem themselves, calling the cup during their annual Pub Golf, inviting Skule™ (and Conestoga, although they declined due to "short-notice"). UW was unable to attend due to a landslide that temporarily closed the 403, and thus Skule™ won by default.