Difference between revisions of "Speaker"
|Line 27:||Line 27:|
Revision as of 02:26, 13 May 2012
The Speaker of the Engineering Society is responsible for running all meetings of the Board of Directors and Engineering Society Council. Until 2011, the Speaker was an Internal Director, elected annually at the Joint Council Meeting. After the creation of the Board of Directors in 2011, the Speaker ceased to be an internal director and simply became an appointee of the Board of Directors. The term Chair of the Board was then used interchangeably with Speaker to refer to this position.
Role in Governance
Although never formalized in the Bylaws, tradition holds that the Speaker should follow the Westminster parliamentary tradition of being unbiased on all questions before the parliamentary body, and never speak in debate. 2011-2012 Speaker Rishi Maharaj broke with this tradition by regularly offering his opinion on matters of governance during and outside meetings of the Board. Through 2011-2012, efforts were made to model the Speaker's role more closely after that of the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, that is, someone who leads and guides the direction of the Board while being independent of the Officers.
Engineering Society Bylaws
Bylaw 1 (Constitution)
- 3.6.1 The Speaker of the the Board of Directors shall preside over General Meetings.
- 3.6.2 All General Meetings shall be governed by Roberts Rules of Order where these rules of order do not conflict with the Bylaws of the Society.
- 3.6.3 The Speaker shall not hold more than one (1) vote at any General Meeting.
- 8.10.1 The Speaker shall ensure proper procedure during all meetings of the Board.
- 8.10.2 In the absence of the Speaker, the Speaker’s place shall be taken by a Board Member to be chosen by the Board Members present, except where otherwise stated in Bylaw 1.
- 8.10.3 The Speaker shall be selected by the Board of Directors at the first meeting of the new Board Members by a majority vote.
- 8.10.4 Nominations for the Speaker shall be held according to the Bylaw on Elections.
- 8.10.5 The Speaker shall be a non-voting member of the Board of Directors.
Bylaw 2 (Internal Directors)
- 1.12.1 There shall be a Speaker, whose responsibilities are detailed in Bylaw No. 1.
- 1.12.2 The Speaker shall edit all motions submitted for meetings. When appropriate, motions shall be altered for clarity and proper use of the English language. Altered motions will only be submitted to the meeting if the alterations are approved by the original mover. If no approval is given, the original (unaltered) motion will be submitted.
Current and Past Speakers
|2012-2013||Mauricio Curbelo||Civ 1T3+PEY|
|2011-2012||Rishi Maharaj||NΨ 1T2+PEY|
|2010-2011||Zoriana Workun||Civ 1T2|
|2009-2010||Alvin Ho||Elec 0T9+PEY|
|2008-2009||Billy Wong||Civ 1T0+PEY|
|2007-2008||David Clease||Mech 1T0+PEY|
|2006-2007||Ryan Campbell||NΨ 0T7+∞|
|2005-2006||Adam Gravitis||NΨ 0T6|
|2004-2005||Henry Cheung||NΨ 0T7+PEY|
|2003-2004||Craig Burkett||NΨ 0T5|